Report: Rangers 4 v 5 Huntington Rovers

  • Rangers go into half-time 3-1 up.

  • A collapse in second-half sees the visitors win 5-4

  • Management not happy with the manner that goals are conceded.

An amazing second half saw Rangers let slip a 4-1 lead before finally losing 5-4 to York Premier Division side Huntington Rovers.

With the Management keen to keep the attacking style of play going, it took Rangers just six minutes to take the lead. A perfect ball over the top of Huntington's defence picked out Ash Tatler, who had timed his run to avoid being offside, and he drilled his shot past the keeper.

Rangers had to defend well as the visitor's searched for the equaliser. A scramble in the home team's area saw two blocks stop shots before the final chance went wide of the post.

Some intricate play fashioned Deighton's second goal after seventeen minutes. Josh Barden played in Charlie Yates, and his shot was pushed back into play by the keeper. Following up was Barden who powered his shot in the net.

Yates almost claimed a goal two minutes later. However, his first time shot, following a pullback by Tatler, was well saved by Huntington's custodian.

Craig Hall battles for the ball against Huntington Rovers.

Taking their foot off the peddle, Rangers paid the price when Huntington pulled one back. A spell of passing around the area saw a looping cross beat Jonty Smith, and the ball was hooked into an empty net at the back post.

Huntington pressed Rangers again, but this time Josh Buckley produced a well-timed sliding tackle to remove the ball from danger before his brother Conor completed the clearance.

Tatler restored Rangers two-goal advantage in the thirty-first minute following a flowing move down the right. Yates was heavily involved, and his inch-perfect cross allowed the striker the chance to head home, and he didn't miss!

The movement from Rangers was a joy to behold, and another quick break saw Joe Turley outpace his man. However, the shot wasn't as elegant as the build-up, and the ball went over the crossbar.

A foul by Turley just outside the area allowed Huntington the opportunity to strike from a free-kick. Unleashing a powerful shot, the ball failed to beat the wall, and after the follow-up cross was overhit, Rangers cleared.

Half Time: Kirk Deighton Rangers 3 v 1 Huntington Rovers

It didn't take long for Rangers to hit their stride, and with a few minutes on the clock, the referee pointed to the spot following a foul on Jack Cheetham. Yates took on the responsibility, placing his kick down the middle of the goal, to make it 4-1.

A multitude of changes saw Rangers change the spine of the team, and six minutes later, Huntington began an amazing comeback. Smith couldn't hold onto the slippery ball, and the striker tapped in to reduce the deficit.

A strong shot by Yates from just inside the area caused consternation as the keeper dropped the ball, but reacting quickest, he was able to collect at the second attempt.

Huntington's keeper was kept busy, and Cheetam's pass released Hall, who in turn crossed into the area, but the custodian showed good hands to collect under pressure from Harvey Ribbons.

Josh Bhandal goes through the Huntington Rovers midfield.

A crazy five-minute spell saw the visitors turn the game with three goals. The first was a superb solo effort which saw the player beat four blue shirts before shooting into the top corner, despite Smith getting a hand to it.

From the restart, Huntington came forward again, and a cross into the area was chipped over Smith, who was unable to get back in time to make the save.

Two minutes later, the visitors took the lead when play down the right saw Smith come to collect the ball, but it was knocked across him and shot into an empty net.

Following the shock of the three goals, Rangers regained control and Tatler broke down the left. As he cut infield, Huntington's defender managed to block the ball and prevent Tatler from shooting.

Testing the keeper, Ribbons forced a decent save. Collecting the rebound, Cheetham set up Tatler, but his shot was straight at the custodian.

Rangers were pressing hard through both Bardens, Hall and Tatler, and they all had chances, but Huntington stood firm to see the game out.

Full-Time: Kirk Deighton Rangers 4 v 5 Huntington Rovers

In review, thankfully it was only a pre-season match, but the capitulation will have annoyed the management. However, the positives were that for 65 minutes, Rangers ran the game and the build-up play was superb. Even after the four Huntington goals, Rangers pressed well but weren't able to find that crucial fifth goal. 

Report by KDRAFC Media

Match Partner

It was great to see Bar Three reopen their doors recently. Following strict and sensible social distances put in place, they have created a great and safe environment for people to return to.

They can also be contacted by phone on 01937 543 110

Reserve Team Sponsor

You can contact Aquascapes & Landscaping on 07939 972363.

KDRAFC Media Sponsor

Ortial Technologies Ltd can also be contacted by phone at 0330 1243777

You may unsubscribe at any time by sending an email to with your name and the word unsubscribe.

Follow us on
  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Twitter - White Circle
  • YouTube - White Circle
  • Instagram - White Circle

We would like to thank all our generous partners

Site Content

First Team     Reserves     Veterans     Commercial      Contact Us      Directions - Barr Field, Kirk Deighton, LS22 4DS

Website (c) 2019 Kirk Deighton Rangers AFC / Pete Arnett - All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.