Report: Rangers 4 v 1 Tadcaster Magnets

  • The visitors take the lead through a header

  • Charlie Yates scores twice within three minutes

  • Rangers score twice more in the second half including a hat-trick for Charlie.

In what turned out to be a comfortable afternoon's work for Rangers, they had to come from behind to claim their fourth pre-season win on the trot.

Deighton rattled the frame of the goal twice within the opening ten minutes. First Jake Little forced a reaction save from the goalkeeper who pushed the ball onto the crossbar and grabbed the rebound with Little lurking. Moments later, Josh Barden controlled on the right of the area before his shot cannoned off the post to safety.

Magnets won a free-kick outside Rangers area, but the resultant shot beat both Jonty Smith and the post to nestle in the bushes.

The visitors took the lead in the 17th minute when the ball was won in midfield and Tadcaster attacked down the right. Playing a deep cross, the ball was headed past Smith with little resistance.

Rangers regrouped and started probing again, and shots from both Joe Turley and George Widows needed the keeper to save.

A series of changes for the home side brought the equaliser from Charlie Yates. A corner from Joe Wilks was headed clear to the edge of the area, and Yates's volley had enough power to beat the keeper and go in off the inside of the post.

Craig Hall looks to shoot against Tadcaster Magnets.

Three minutes later and Rangers were in front. Ash Tatler fought well on the byline and pulled the ball back to Yates, who made no mistake with his shot.

Tadcaster had a chance to pull level, but despite some one-touch passing taking them into the area, the final shot was palmed clear by Smith.

Rangers were excelling in the build-up play again with Captain Joe Wilks being instrumental in getting the home side moving. Tatler, Rob Holliday and Joe Barden all provided good passes, but Tadcaster's defence and keeper were in control when it came to the final shot.

Craig Hall thought that he had increased Deighton's lead right on the stroke of half-time as he raced past his marker to connect with Yates's cross. However, he couldn't keep it down, and it flew over the crossbar.

Half-Time: Kirk Deighton Rangers 2 v 1 Tadcaster Magnets

The blue shirts swarmed up the pitch from the restart, and Yates tested the keeper from distance. However, the custodian saved comfortably, taking it into his midriff.

Conor Buckley was left rueing his luck when a good run afforded him a chance to shoot, but his effort went just wide of the back post.

The visitors were still searching for the equaliser and forced a corner, but placing it too close to Smith, the keeper rose without trouble and claimed it.

The crossbar came to Tadcaster's rescue again after Tatler had let fly with a dipping shot from outside the area. Despite following the ball in, Widows couldn't change his direction in time to collect the rebound.

Yates claimed his hat-trick in the 56th minute after Luke Dubery was fouled in the area. Placing the ball on the spot, he converted down the middle, despite the keeper getting a hand to it.

Jon Richards in action during the 4-1 win over Tadcaster Magnets.

Rangers were turning the screw, and a cheeky backheel flick by Dubery brought out a superb save from Tadcaster's keeper to push it wide.

The sound of the crossbar rattling filled the air at Barr Field again as a powerful shot from Turley was pushed onto it by the keeper, this time, however, Hall was following up and headed the ball into the net to increase Deighton's lead in the 68th minute.

Not content with four, Rangers pressed again, and Jon Richards had a half-chance which was eventually cleared to safety.

With the game entering the final stages, Rangers were knocking the ball around nicely, and for long periods, the visitors were frustrated as Deighton kept possession to see the game out.

Final-Score: Kirk Deighton Rangers 4 v 1 Tadcaster Magnets

In review, a comfortable win for Rangers, but how the goal was conceded will have annoyed the management. The way Rangers responded, however, was pleasing to see, and yet again the build-up play was superb.  It's always nice to see a hat-trick and Charlie took his goals well. Things are looking good at the moment for the boys in blue!

Match report by KDRAFC Media

Match Partner

One of the most popular shops in Wetherby, Touchwood have provided the Town and surrounding district with quality DIY products for many years. Throughout the pandemic, they have kept going and helped the public and isolating.

Touchwood can be contacted by phone on 01937 585726

First-Team Sponsor

You can contact Hunters on 01937 588228 or visit their shop at 5a Market Place, Wetherby, West Yorkshire, LS22 6LQ.

KDRAFC Media Sponsor

Ortial Technologies Ltd can also be contacted by phone at 0330 1243777


You may unsubscribe at any time by sending an email to with your name and the word unsubscribe.

Follow us on
  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Twitter - White Circle
  • YouTube - White Circle
  • Instagram - White Circle

We would like to thank all our generous partners

Site Content

First Team     Reserves     Veterans     Commercial      Contact Us      Directions - Barr Field, Kirk Deighton, LS22 4DS

Website (c) 2019 Kirk Deighton Rangers AFC / Pete Arnett - All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.