Report: Rangers 1 v 1 Aberford Albion

  • Rangers take an early lead through Ali Thompson.

  • Aberford equalises in the second half.

  • Joe Barden sent off following two yellow cards.

"A frustrating afternoon" was Manager Dan Marshall's verdict after watching his side drop two points against local rivals Aberford Albion in a match that, realistically, Rangers should have had wrapped up by half-time.

The game had barely reached three minutes when Rangers scored through Ali Thompson, whose long-range strike left the keeper grasping fresh air as it passed him.

Thompson was giving his marker no peace, and linking well with Charlie Yates, his cross was just too high for George Widdows to reach.

Josh Barden's free-kick from just outside the area nearly doubled Deighton's lead in the 13th minute, but the keeper pushed it back out, and Thompson shot wide.

Most of Rangers' play was coming down the left, and with the impressive Harvey Ribbons feeding Thompson and Yates, several chances presented themselves, but neither them, Craig Hall nor Rob Holliday could convert them.

Aberford's first chance came from a free-kick but driving in a low shot, the ball deflected off Josh Buckley and went wide.

Charlie Yates gives chase against Aberford Albion.

Hall's tenacity saw him regain the ball by the touchline and his cross allowed Holliday to shoot. However, the keeper saved well with his legs.

Rangers were in control, and Ribbons, Widdows and Joe Barden all had chances that were blocked on route to goal. However, it was Yates who had the best opportunity when Thompson and Hall played him in, but his shot went wide of the post with the keeper stranded.

The visitors reminded Rangers why they needed a second goal when they broke through the middle of Deighton's defence. Thankfully a hurried shot flew over Jonty Smith's goal.

A rugby tackle on Ribbon earned an Aberford player a yellow card, but moments earlier they had their keeper to thank again after he managed to deflect Yates's cross away from Widdows, who was ready to pounce.

Half-Time: Kirk Deighton Rangers 1 v 0 Aberford Albion

The second half started with Rangers pressuring Abeford's defence again. A dummy by Yates saw the ball finally come to Josh Barden, but his shot from outside the area went over.

Buckley was next to try his luck when his looping header from a free-kick landed the wrong side of the crossbar.

Rangers took their foot off the accelerator, and Aberford responded by forcing Smith into making a diving save to push a curling shot wide.

With Yates in discomfort, Jake Little replaced him in the 60th minute.

Aberford forced Rangers back again, and some good passing allowed their right back to shoot just wide. Minutes later, another attack was brought to a sudden end, earning Joe Barden a yellow card.

Another enforced substitution saw Jon Richards leave the pitch, replaced by Josh Bhandal in the 67th minute, and in the 71st minute, Widdows made way for Ashley Tatler.

Rangers paid the penalty for not being able to increase their lead when Aberford equalised in the 79th minute. Smith had pulled off a superb save from the original header, but the ball dropped back to the striker, and he didn't miss the second time!

The game suddenly increased in tempo, and both teams created chances. Rangers went close through Tatler, while the visitors forced Smith into an impressive double save.

Josh Buckley sees his shot blocked by the Aberford keeper.

Holliday couldn't believe his luck when he ran half of the pitch and beat the keeper with a low shot, unfortunately for Rangers, the ball trickled a foot wide of the post as well.

Rangers were reduced to ten men in the 86th minute when Joe Barden received his second yellow card. The midfielder can consider himself very unlucky, as it did appear that he was trying to push the Aberford player from on top of him as they both went to ground.

With two minutes left, Rangers won a duo of corners that culminated with the keeper producing a stunning block to keep out Buckley's close-range shot.

The final action saw Aberford rattle the crossbar when the player held off the Rangers defender before shooting.

Full-Time: Kirk Deighton Rangers 1 v 1 Aberford Albion

In review: It's a case of two points dropped for Rangers, who need to be more clinical in front of goal. The build-up play was superb again, and the defence was solid and unforgiving, we just need to score more! 

Report by KDRAFC Media.

Matchday Partner

Popular children's soft play centre Crazy Tykes have undergone a transformation with more toys for the kids to explore and have fun with. They have also made their venue Covid secure and introduced an online booking feature.

They can also be contacted on 01937 541007

First-Team Sponsor

You can contact Hunters on 01937 588228 or visit their shop at 5a Market Place, Wetherby, West Yorkshire, LS22 6LQ.

KDRAFC Media Sponsor

Ortial Technologies Ltd can also be contacted by phone at 0330 1243777.

You may unsubscribe at any time by sending an email to with your name and the word unsubscribe.

Follow us on
  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Twitter - White Circle
  • YouTube - White Circle
  • Instagram - White Circle

We would like to thank all our generous partners

Site Content

First Team     Reserves     Veterans     Commercial      Contact Us      Directions - Barr Field, Kirk Deighton, LS22 4DS

Website (c) 2019 Kirk Deighton Rangers AFC / Pete Arnett - All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.