Blue Smoke



  • Twitter

Rangers Veterans 3 v 3 Thirsk Veterans

A late penalty by Ryan McHale was enough to secure Rangers a hard-earned point against a good Thirsk Falcons side.

The game started with both sides engaging high up the pitch, but both defences proved to be stubborn and repelled any danger.

A strong run down the right flank by Marcus Stapleton provided the opening for Danny Grannon to beat his marker and fire low past the keeper to make it 1-0 in the 14th minute.

Grannon soon had another chance to double the lead when he latched onto Mike Denham's pass. However, despite running clear and beating the keeper, his shot was off target and went wide.

Thirsk attempted to play their way through the middle of the pitch. However, just as the striker looked to shoot, the ball bounced away from him, and Rangers cleared.

Match Photo.
Jonathan Gobbi looks to get the ball in Thirsk's area.

A one-two featuring Stapleton and Jonathan Gobbi allowed the latter to try and shoot, but a superb block tackle denied him.

The visitor's started to pile on the pressure, and a shot from outside the area just cleared Mark Tasker's crossbar. Minutes later and Rob Stabler put in a strong tackle to deny Thirsk's striker as he was about to shoot.

Following some pressure on the Thirsk defence, Grannon won the ball back in the area and rounded the keeper. Pulling it back for Stapleton to score, he could only shoot over the bar.

Thirsk evened up the score from the penalty spot just before half-time after the referee adjudged that there had been a trip in the area. Despite guessing the right way, Tasker couldn't stop the ball from hitting the inside of the post and entering the goal.

Half-Time: Rangers Vets 1 v 1 Thirsk Falcons Vets

The second half had barely begun before Grannon struck his and Rangers second goal of the match. Collecting a pass just outside Thirsk's area, the tall striker rode a couple of challenges before flicking the ball past the surprised custodian and into the goal.

Trying to get a quick equaliser, Thirsk worked the ball down the left flank before cutting inside. Sensing an opportunity, the winger hit a long-range shot that just went wide of the near post.

Thirsk's pressure brought its rewards in the 54th minute when they pulled level after Rangers had lost the ball in the middle of the pitch. Passing into the area, the attacker pulled the ball back across the six-yard line, and his partner thumped it home.

Rangers got a foothold back into the game, and half chances all fell to Grannon, Gobbi, Dan Brearton and Danny Gore. However, a combination of blocks, tackles or losing the ball robbed them of a chance to score.

A surging run from Jonathan Wilson into the area was halted by a good tackle. As the ball broke to Brearton, a defender stooped down low to produce a fine block as he was pulling his foot back to shoot.

Match Photo
Ryan McHale scores from the spot.

With the game finely balanced, the play rebounded back and forth. Thirsk stung Tasker's gloves with a fierce drive from just inside the area, while Mark Suttle was unable to steer the ball goalwards after some good dribbling had taken him into Thirsk's six-yard box.

Disaster struck for Deighton in the 62nd minute when Thirsk played a ball to their right-winger. Ignoring the calls for offside, the referee waved play on, and a deep cross to the back post was headed past Tasker.

For a while, it looked like it would be the visitors who would add to their score, but each time the final shot went wide of the goal.

With nine minutes of the game remaining, Rangers won a penalty after a handball blocked Denham's cross. Taking responsibility, McHale placed the ball on the spot and coolly sent the goalkeeper the wrong way to level the scores.

Full-Time: Rangers Vets 3 v 3 Thirsk Falcons Vets

Verdict: A good start for Deighton against a tough opponent who play in the league above. There was a real 'never-say-die' spirit from both teams, which translated into a great football game. Rangers can take a lot of positives from this into their next match against neighbours Wetherby Athletic.

Matchday Partner.

All at KDRAFC would like to thank the NHS for their superb work and commitment during the past fifteen months.

Veterans Sponsor

KDRAFC Media Sponsor


You may unsubscribe at any time by sending an email to with your name and the word unsubscribe.

Follow us on
  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Twitter - White Circle
  • YouTube - White Circle
  • Instagram - White Circle

We would like to thank all our generous partners

+ + + + + + + + + + + +




Barr Field, Kirk Deighton,

LS22 4DS

Affiliated to

West Riding County FA Logo

Charter Standard Club

Charter Standard Club Logo
Website (c) 2019  - present. Kirk Deighton Rangers AFC / Pete Arnett - All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Instagram