Match Report: Wyke Wanderers 2 v 2 Kirk Deighton Rangers

A windswept Whitechapel Road bore witness to a sluggish display by Rangers, which saw them fail to capitalise on the majority of possession and chances that they enjoyed.

Deighton elected to kick-off with the wind behind them and started with an audacious long shot, which the Wyke keeper caught at the second attempt.

A deep cross by Joe Turley was retrieved by Ashley Tatler, who looked to set up Charlie Yates, however, he was unable to collect the pass, and Wanderers quashed the danger.

Rangers took the lead in the tenth minute when Josh Barden's pass was diverted into Yates's path. As the striker tried to get past his marker, he was sent tumbling to the ground in front of the referee, who immediately pointed at the spot. Dusting himself down, Yates sent the keeper the wrong way to put Rangers ahead.

Wyke attacked down the right-wing but cutting across the player was Joe Wilks, who did well to gain control of the ball and clear it to safety.

Tatler was left in agony following a collision with the metal railings that surround the pitch and was forced off in the 18th minute, replaced by Harvey Ribbons.

Rangers were trying to make inroads in Wyke's area, but the wind was causing passes to overrun, and Wanderers' keeper spent a fair amount of time retrieving the ball from behind his goal.

Josh Barden challenges for the ball.

Wyke nearly equalised after a passage of play down the right-wing allowed them into the area, but timing his tackle to perfection, Jonty Smith made the save.

Wilks had a half-chance when he rose highest to head goalwards from a corner, however, a covering defender managed to clear the ball.

With the hosts enjoying a purple patch, Turley was in the right place to intercept a dangerous cross from the wing.

Craig Hall's long throws were causing unrest in Wyke's defence, and Joe Barden's backheel nearly released Yates, but a defender managed to get to the ball first.

Hall and Ribbons were working hard down the right-wing, and turning his marker, Ribbons shot from outside the area, however, his effort curled over the crossbar.

Hall picked out Rob Holliday, but his snapshot was blocked. Minutes later Ribbons picked out Yates, but again his shot was intercepted by the defence.

It was all square on 43 minutes following a break through the middle of the park. The Wyke player evaded a couple of tackles to shoot past Smith from close range.

Just before the referee ended the first half, Holliday forced a good save when he outsprinted the defender and placed his shot across the keeper, diving to the left, the custodian collected the ball cleanly.

Half-Time: Wyke Wanderers 1 v 1 Kirk Deighton Rangers.

With the wind now in their favour, Wyke put Rangers under pressure from the start, and John Large and Bhandal were forced to make several headers to clear their ranks.

Rangers restored their lead in the 49th minute after a powerful run by Hall saw him pull the ball back, and Yates side-footed home from six yards out.

The lead lasted less than sixty seconds, as a lack of concentration from the restart saw a cross to the back post headed past Smith by an unmarked player.

Looking to increase their attacking options, Rangers replaced Bhandal with Jake Little in the 57th minute.

With the wind picking up again, creative play was stifled, and the ball was mainly contained in midfield.

Wyke broke free and a cross was headed back to Smith by Large, but in the process, Smith hurt himself, but after several minutes of treatment, he was able to continue.

Harvey Ribbons is fended off by a Wyke Wanderers defender.

A pass by Joe Barden was picked up by Little, and his cross found Holliday, but his shot was overhit and went out.

Rangers were enjoying more of the play but were finding clear cut chances difficult to fashion. Little's persistence won several corners, but none of them could be converted.

Trying to pinch the win, Rangers replaced Josh Barden with Jack Holliday in the 80th minute.

Wyke put Rangers defence under heavy pressure with a barrage of long passes, which needed both Large and Turley to deal with.

Ribbons freed Yates to sprint goalwards, as he closed in on Wyke's goal, the referee blew for offside, which angered several members of Deighton's managerial team. From the free-kick, Wyke broke down the right, but the cross ricocheted off the striker and carried to Smith.

With two minutes remaining, Yates set up Jack Holliday, but despite trying to turn goalwards, he was marshalled away from danger, without managing to get his shot away.

Another long throw by Hall found Ribbons at the back post. Trying to get his shot away under pressure, he could only fire past the post.

Full-Time: Wyke Wanderers 2 v 2 Kirk Deighton Rangers

Report by KDRAFC Media

Team: Smith, Hall, Turley, Wilks, Large, Bhandal, Holliday.R, Barden.Joe, Barden.Josh, Yates, Tatler. Subs: Ribbons (Tatler 18), Little (Bhandal 57), Holliday. J (Barden.Joe 80) Unused: Sheridan-Hawley

Goals: Yates (10, 48)

Sin-Bin: Rangers (none), Wyke Wanderers (none)

Yellow Cards: Rangers (none), Wyke Wanderers (none)

Red Cards: Rangers (none), Wyke Wanderers (none)

Referee: Mr Ashraff Pandor

The Bennett & Fountain Man of the Match award Winner: Rob Holliday

You may unsubscribe at any time by sending an email to with your name and the word unsubscribe.

Follow us on
  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Twitter - White Circle
  • YouTube - White Circle
  • Instagram - White Circle

We would like to thank all our generous partners

Site Content

First Team     Reserves     Veterans     Commercial      Contact Us      Directions - Barr Field, Kirk Deighton, LS22 4DS

Website (c) 2019 Kirk Deighton Rangers AFC / Pete Arnett - All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.