Match Report: Whitkirk Wanderers 6 v 0 Kirk Deighton Rangers

With nine players sidelined through illness and injuries, a very different looking Rangers side gave a good account of themselves against their Premier Division opponents, but in the end, Whitkirk proved too strong and ran out 6-0 winners to progress in the League Cup.

Under a bright, but chilly sky in Leeds, Manager Dan Marshall called up Mason Sheridan-Hawley, Rich Jenner, Michael McCartney, Jake Little and Brad Spencer to help as the sickness bug that has gone around the surrounding district struck within the club.

Rangers created several early chances and had the ball in the back of the net within the opening four minutes, but Mr Knee deemed that Little was offside when the final pass was made and disallowed the goal.

Whitkirk scored in the sixth minute with virtually their first attack when a cross was flicked over the advancing Jonty Smith, who attempted to deflect it to safety but couldn't prevent it from ending up in the back of the net.

A long ball behind Whitkirk’s defence nearly paid dividends as a foot race between Josh Bhandal and the keeper ended with the custodian winning. Moments later another pass saw Hall advance down the right, but Whitkirk’s left-back stayed with him and won a goal kick off the Deighton player.

Josh Barden's corner caused panic in Whitkirk’s area when Bhandal’s shot rattled off a few legs before falling to Chris Plews. As the striker set to shoot, a well-timed last-ditch tackle poked the ball clear.

With Deighton enjoying a good spell of possession, they were relieved to see Mr Knee wave away a very loud shout for a penalty as a Whitkirk player went down under a challenge from two Rangers defenders.

A free-kick near the half-way line proved to be Deighton’s undoing for the second goal in the 21st minute as a deep looping ball was expertly guided past Smith by the outstretched boot of a Whitkirk player.

Charlie Yates is stopped by a Whitkirk Wanderers defender.

The hosts were displaying some precise passing, especially down the left and it took a good intervention by the impressive Jenner to break up a flowing move as he managed to get his foot in to divert the ball back to Smith.

Rangers best chance to the half fell to Yates after Sheridan-Hawley and Jenner combined for the later to play a diagonal ball into the striker’s path. Beating the offside trap, he raced into the area and placed his shot wide of the advancing custodian, but also the far post as well.

It was three-nil in the 36th minute when a cross from the right found a Whitkirk player who had peeled away from his marker and his powerful downward header beat Smith. The goal saw the first chance of the game when Michael McCartney made his debut, replacing Plews.

Whitkirk’s crisp passing nearly added another goal in the 41st minute when Rangers were left chasing shadows, but as the striker shot, Smith got down well to stop the ball.

With seconds ticking down, Yates and Hall dispossessed a defender and released Josh Barden whose curling shot needed Whitkirk’s keeper to push it over. From the resultant corner, Jenner and Joe Barden both got involved as Rangers piled on the pressure. The play was finally stopped as Yates was adjudged offside, despite a Whitkirk defender standing five yards in front of him!

Half-Time: Whitkirk Wanderers 3 v 0 Kirk Deighton Rangers

Rangers started the second half in determined fashion and it was Yates whose shot was parried clear. Following up, Joe Barden hit a powerful shot that beat the grounded keeper but smashed into the underside of the crossbar and bounced back into play. Trying to get the ball back, Yates was caught from behind and required extensive treatment before returning to the pitch.

The Whitkirk custodian was in action again when he dived to his right to push clear Bhandal's snapshot following a freekick from Joe Barden.

Deighton's injury list grew when Bhandal was forced from the pitch following a challenge from behind. Taking his place was Brad Spencer, whilst Dan Flynn replaced the heavily limping Yates.

The hosts increased their lead in the 55th minute when another fast break saw the winger pull the ball back to his teammate, who shot past Smith.

Rangers kept on plugging away and chances fell to Turley, Spencer and Jenner, but they couldn't convert.

Dan Flynn takes on the Whitkirk Wanderers defence.

A long ball by Whitkirk's keeper in the 65th minute saw their winger put a deep cross that Deighton's defence couldn't cut out and the resultant shot beat Smith.

Whitkirk's passing game was impressive and another slick move saw them chip the ball over Deighton's defence, but attempting to lob Smith, the keeper leapt high and plucked the ball out of the air.

A good intervention in the centre of defence by Sheridan-Hawley saw another Whitkirk attack thwarted when he read the flight of the ball perfectly to clear the cross before the striker could shoot.

Luck was not on Rangers side when Turley's shot squirmed under the Whitkirk keeper. Diving backwards, he made amends as he pushed the ball away from the goal line.

Spencer was proving a handful down the left, and his direct running at Whitkirk created several chances which the home defence managed to deal with.

A defence-splitting pass by Sheridan-Hawley allowed Little to run into the area. Taking aim, his shot just cleared the crossbar with the keeper at full stretch.

A flurry of corners for Whitkirk ended with the ball in the back of the net in the second minute of extra time. A shot from distance fell kindly in the six-yard box and was swept home past Jonty to complete the scoring for the hosts.

Full Score: Whitkirk Wanderers 6 v 0 Kirk Deighton Rangers

Match Report by Pete Arnett.

Team: Smith, Hall, Turley, Jenner, Sheridan-Hawley, Bhandal, Barden.Josh, Barden.Joe, Yates, Little, Plews Subs: McCartney (Plews 36), Flynn (Yates 52) Spencer (Bhandal 52)

Sin-Bin: Whitkirk Wanderers (none), Kirk Deighton Rangers (none)

Yellow Cards: Whitkirk Wanderers (none), Kirk Deighton Rangers (none)

Red Cards: Whitkirk Wanderers (none), Kirk Deighton Rangers (none)

Referee: Mr Ian Knee

The Bennett and Fountain Kirk Deighton Rangers Man Of The Match: Rich Jenner.

You may unsubscribe at any time by sending an email to with your name and the word unsubscribe.

Follow us on
  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Twitter - White Circle
  • YouTube - White Circle
  • Instagram - White Circle

We would like to thank all our generous partners

Site Content

First Team     Reserves     Veterans     Commercial      Contact Us      Directions - Barr Field, Kirk Deighton, LS22 4DS

Website (c) 2019 Kirk Deighton Rangers AFC / Pete Arnett - All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.