Match Report: Overthorpe Sports Club 2 v 9 Kirk Deighton Rangers

After a few 1-0 wins, Rangers went goal crazy against Overthorpe Sports Club hitting the second division leaders for nine as they ran out 9-2 winners and, in the process, booked a place in the next round of the league cup.

The game started at a fast pace, on one of the most picturesque grounds we have been to this season and it was a quick pass from Josh Bhandal that picked out Charlie Yates. In return, Yates tried to find Harvey Ribbons, but the referee’s whistle brought play back.

Coming down the left flank following a free-kick, Dan Flynn swung on a deep cross that just evaded Ribbons at the back post.

A powerful run from Overthorpe saw their forward find a little space outside Deighton’s area, but his shot was straight at Jonty Smith.

Another offside decision against Ribbons preceded Rangers first goal, but there was no doubt about Luke Dubery’s shot as he collected a throw in, turned and let fly from thirty yards, placing his shot right into the top corner.

A minute later and Yates nearly doubled the lead when he was picked out by Ribbon’s low cross. Spinning his man, he unleashed a fierce shot that smashed into the outer part of the post.

Rangers were using the flanks well and Woodward played a good ball into Jack Holliday’s path, but just as the youngster looked to latch onto it, a terrific sliding tackle took the chance away from him.

A little bit of complacency allowed Overthorpe to work the ball into the area and the first shot was well blocked by a diving John Large before Smith produced a stunning full length save to push the ball clear from the rebound.

Rangers grabbed their second after a good run by Joe Turley, who twisted and turned before releasing Rob Holliday, who’s cross was cleared to the edge of the area where Woodward was waiting to smash it low into the corner of the net after 14th minutes.

Sixty seconds later and Yates was celebrating his first and Rangers first as he linked onto Smith’s long goal-kick. Despite the defender claiming Yates had fouled him, the referee allowed play to continue and Yates fired home from inside the area.

With seventeen minutes on the clock, Rangers made it 4-0 when a loose ball from Overthorpe was pounced on by Rob Holliday. Beating one defender, he shot goalwards, with the keeper only able to push his effort into the goal.

The goals were raining in for Rangers and following a foul on Josh Bhandal and a yellow card for the culprit, Bhandal rolled the ball to Yates, who stopped it for Bhandal to strike into the corner of the net.

Josh Bhandal gets another Rangers attack going.

Overthorpe were not giving up and again they forced another good save from Smith, when he had to be quick off his line to deflect a shot clear.

Such was the pace of the game, that seconds after Yates was denied by the keeper going to ground at his feet, then Smith was picking the ball out of his net, after the Overthorpe striker was left free in the area and he bent his shot into the goal.

Ribbons nearly restored Rangers five goal lead when he leapt into the air to try and steer Rob Holliday’s inch perfect cross goalwards, but he ended up putting the ball over.

The sixth goal did arrive after a corner was headed into Jack Holliday’s path by Dubery, and he swivelled and drove the ball high into the net from six yards out.

The final goal of the half arrived for the hosts after Bhandal’s challenge in the area was deemed illegal by the referee, and he pointed at the spot. Striking the ball well, the Overthorpe player sent Smith the wrong well to make it 6-2.

With Rangers reduced to ten men for ten minutes due to Dubery being sent to the sin-bin, the match seemed to lose momentum and stall in midfield, however trying to gain their rhythm back, a long shot by Jack Holliday was collected by the keeper before Yates was tackled just as he was going to shoot.

Half-Time: Overthorpe Sports Club 2 v 6 Kirk Deighton Rangers

The second half saw Overthorpe power down the pitch, and a hard shot was only just wide of Smith’s post, with the keeper berating his defence for not closing the player down.

A good pass from Dubery picked out Jack Holliday down the left, but just as the winger looked like he was onto it, a sliding tackle from the right back robbed him.

Rangers were awarded a free kick just outside the area after Ribbons had been fouled. Curling his shot over the wall, Yates saw his effort just clear the crossbar as well.

The first goal of the half arrived after Ribbons had been scythed down from behind inside the area. Stepping up, Yates made no mistake from the spot in the 51st minute.

Rangers needed a good defensive header by Dubery to clear the danger after a route one ball had caught Deighton asleep. Minutes later and Smith had to make a block on the line as Overthorpe pressured from a corner.

A superb block from an Overthorpe defender denied Ribbons from scoring and then Yates’s cross was hit over the bar by Jack Holliday.

Chances were mounting for Rangers and shots from Turley and Woodward were blocked or palmed clear by the keeper.

The first sub of the match saw Woodward replaced by Josh Barden in the 64th minute, but the action was on the other side as Jack Holliday was dubiously called offside, despite running from behind his marker.

The strangest moment of the match occurred in the 67th minute of the game when a long pass from Barden, 70 yards away from goal, missed its target of Jack Holliday, but bobbled over the keeper’s foot as he went to clear it and rolled into the goal!

Chris Plews is just beaten to the ball by the Overthorpe keeper.

With Chris Plews on the pitch for Yates, it took him just two minutes to find the target, when a through ball released Turley and he crossed for Plews to sweep home from close range, despite a good attempt by the keeper to save it.

Rangers nearly made it double figures when a clearance by the keeper was smashed against Barden’s head, but he couldn’t locate the rebound in time to shoot.

The match went flat again, and it became a case of half chances, as Turley and Ribbons both shot over and wide.

With ten minutes on the clock, it was the hosts who finished the stronger, but even a free-kick just outside Rangers area didn’t trouble Smith as it flew over and into the school yard!

Full-Time: Overthorpe Sports Club 2 v 9 Kirk Deighton Rangers

Team: Smith, Turley, Flynn, Bhandal, Dubery ©, Large, Holliday.J, Woodward, Ribbons, Yates, Holliday.R. Subs: Barden (Woodward 64) Plews (Yates 70), Lawrence.

Goals: Dubery (11), Woodward (14), Yates (15), Rob Holliday (17), Bhandal (20), Jack Holliday (32), Yates (51 pen), Barden (67), Plews (71)

Sin-Bin: Rangers (Dubery) Overthorpe (none)

Yellow Cards: Rangers (Bhandal, Dubery) Overthorpe (1 player)

Red Cards: Rangers (None), Overthorpe (None)

Referee: Mr Brian Hamilton

The Kirk Deighton Rangers B&F Electrical Wholesalers Man Of The Match: Rob Holliday.

Many thanks to B&F Electrical Wholesalers who agreed "out of the blue" to sponsor our MOM award for the League Cup. It is an amazing piece of generosity which we really appreciate.

You may unsubscribe at any time by sending an email to with your name and the word unsubscribe.

Follow us on
  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Twitter - White Circle
  • YouTube - White Circle
  • Instagram - White Circle

We would like to thank all our generous partners

Site Content

First Team     Reserves     Veterans     Commercial      Contact Us      Directions - Barr Field, Kirk Deighton, LS22 4DS

Website (c) 2019 Kirk Deighton Rangers AFC / Pete Arnett - All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.