Match Report: Aberford Albion 3 v 4 Kirk Deighton Rangers

Rangers collected their second win of the season, but it was backs to the wall for most of the second half as Aberford laid siege to Deighton’s goal, only to find Jonty Smith in their way!

As with the Otley game, Deighton decided to start in the worse possible fashion when they conceded within sixty seconds of the game starting.

A smart move down the left minutes later, allowed Josh Barden to whip in a dangerous cross that the keeper fumbled, but Ash Tatler couldn’t react quick enough to shoot. Tatler had another opportunity soon after, when a low cross was inches away from his outstretched foot.

Aberford were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position outside Rangers’ area after a foul by Joe Wilks, but the resultant effort on goal sailed well wide of Smith’s goal.

Joe Turley let fly with a long shot after a free-kick had been headed into his path by Danny Grannon. Striking the ball cleanly, it was straight at the keeper, and he took it into his mid-riff.

Albion nearly doubled their lead when a weak back header was pounced upon by the Aberford striker. However, racing out of his goal, Smith got a hand to the attempted lob and produced a good save.

Rangers equalised on 14 minutes and it was another stunning long-range strike from Turley, following a half-cleared Dan Flynn cross, that flew past the keeper and into the net.

The goal signalled a purple patch for Rangers and soon after another poor clearance fell to Barden, but despite lining up his shot, the ball flew over the crossbar.

Four minutes after the first goal, Rangers scored again when Wilks and Rob Holliday combined to win a corner. A great delivery from Wilks picked out Bhandal who looped his header over the keeper and just over the line before the defender headed it against the hapless keeper and back into the net!

A coming together between Bhandal and an Aberford player earned the pair a yellow card, and just after, a free-kick picked out the midfielder who got to the ball before the keeper, but his header lacked power and was cleared before crossing the line.

Rob Holliday speeds away from Carl Heard of Aberford.

Luke Dubery picked up a yellow card following a foul on the edge of the area, but it was Smith who produced another good punch to divert the shot out for a throw-in.

Aberford gave Rangers a warning after two crosses were only half blocked, and it was all level in the 33rd minute when a one-two found an Aberford player on the right of the area, hitting the ball low, it squeezed in between Smith and his near post.

The home team were having the better of the chances and a long ball caught Rangers on the hop, but waiting for the ball to steady itself, the striker gave Turley time to intervene and allow Smith to collect.

Rangers regained the lead in the 38th minute when Tatler played the ball high into the area and it was knocked down by Holliday. Pouncing on the pass, Grannon turned and fired low past the keeper.

Following an argument about a throw in, Aberford were reduced to ten men as Mr Woods sent their striker to the sin-bin and Rangers made the advantage count in the second minute of extra time when Holliday released Tatler, and he produced a nice dinked finish over the keeper and into the net.

Half-Time: Aberford Albion 2 v 4 Kirk Deighton Rangers

The hosts started the second half in determined fashion and a long ball down the middle looked like it had allowed their striker to run onto it, but another Turley intervention cleared the danger.

A good run down the left by Holliday was stopped by a well-timed sliding tackle, before a pass released Wilks, however his curling shot just went wide of the target.

A deep cross from the left nearly caused issues for Rangers when the striker produced a cheeky lob over Smith, fortunately for Deighton, his effort went over the bar as well.

The first change of the match happened in the 61st minute when Harvey Ribbons took to the pitch to replace Bhandal. Within minutes, the youngster nearly scored Rangers fifth as he wriggled free of the defence but placed his shot wide of the keeper and past the upright as well.

A lovely passing move from Wilks and Tatler allowed the striker to fire the ball goalwards, but the keeper had got his angles right and collected without issue.

Smith pulled off a great reflex save to deny Aberford a certain goal when their striker had burst through Rangers backline. Striking the ball well, Smith threw up his left arm and diverted the shot onto the crossbar and over.

Aberford were forcing the play and it took a great covering tackle by Flynn to clear the danger as Albion swarmed forward sensing a goal.

Danny Grannon tries to get free from his marker.

Failure to clear the ranks set up a nervy climax to the game when Aberford slammed in their third from close range in the 68th minute.

Following a change in personnel as Dubery was replaced by Josh Buckley, Rangers had to defend a curling free-kick, that saw Smith called into action to collect.

The pressure from Aberford was constantly forcing Rangers back, and it took a superb double tackle from Flynn and Conor Buckley (who had replaced Turley) to stop a dangerous attack down the right.

Smith pulled off a massive save for Rangers in the 81st minute when he dived backwards to push over a dipping header that looked like it had got the best of the custodian, however not to be beaten, Smith arched backwards at full reach and tipped the ball over.

A little bit of respite for Rangers saw Grannon win a free-kick outside the Aberford area. Following a bit of a delay whilst Mr Woods sent another Albion player to the sin-bin, Barden’s shot deflected off the wall, and from the resultant corner, Grannon headed just wide.

With Aberford becoming more desperate to find the equaliser, it took two last ditch tackles from Josh Buckley to keep them out, but finally Mr Woods called an end to the match and it was the blue arms that went up in celebration.

Full-Time: Aberford Albion 3 v 4 Kirk Deighton Rangers

Match report by Pete Arnett

Team: Smith, Turley, Flynn, Wilks©, Dubery, McKay, Bhandal, Barden, Holliday, Tatler, Grannon. Subs Ribbons (Bhandal 61), Buckley.J (Dubery 69), Buckley.C (Turley 75), Woodward.

Goals: Turley (14), Bhandal (18), Grannon (38), Tatler (45+2)

Sin-Bin: Rangers (None) Aberford Albion (Two players)

Yellow Cards: Rangers (Bhandal, Dubery) Aberford Albion (Two players)

Red Cards: Rangers (None) Aberford Albion (None)

Referee: Mr Colin Woods

Kirk Deighton Rangers B&F Electrical Distributors Man Of The Match: Jonty Smith

You may unsubscribe at any time by sending an email to with your name and the word unsubscribe.

Follow us on
  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Twitter - White Circle
  • YouTube - White Circle
  • Instagram - White Circle

We would like to thank all our generous partners

Site Content

First Team     Reserves     Veterans     Commercial      Contact Us      Directions - Barr Field, Kirk Deighton, LS22 4DS

Website (c) 2019 Kirk Deighton Rangers AFC / Pete Arnett - All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.